A Writer's Closet

Welcome to the weird flotsam of a writer's mind . . .

Name:
Location: Southern California

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What a week

My third grader asked me the other day for help with subjects and predicates and I froze. Me, a writer. Well, I have three different grammar books including Eats, Shoots & Leaves and they are all gathering dust on my shelf. It never occured to me to crack any of them open. After scratching my head and promising to ask his teacher tomorrow he declared, "Mom, I think you should go back to school." I've always dreaded the day when I couldn't help my son with his homework but it might come sooner than I think. Just don't make me do algebra.

To top this off, after a two month search for the out of print How Babies Are Made by Steven Schepp, I finally worked up the courage to read it to him this week. Better late than never, and yes I was a wuss by having to use a book to explain everything. It was an excellent reproductive guide, starting at flowers, then moving along to chickens, then dogs and finally people. I don't know if this progression was meant to ease the parents into the "talk" or the kids, but I really appreciated the gentle approach. Parents can be such fragile creatures, especially when faced with the sex talk. I've been feeling so guitly about putting it off, but now I can forgive myself and feel relief and pride at having passed this particular parenting milestone.

I did get a wonderful belly laugh over the fact that my son thought the whole thing was "gross." Ah, wait a couple of years, pumpkin.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why in the world would you want to remove the blog "A Writer's Closet" dealing the writers comments re a fabulous book for BOTH children and adult - namely "How Babies Are Made"? She is not the author.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog of Oct. 5, 2005 re your use of the children's book HOW BABIES ARE MADE.
I am the co-author of the book - the first book I wrote - and I am delighted you found it helpful. Now that 2 years have passed I hope it's message has served your child and you well.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home